- Open a dedicated college savings account as soon as you can, baby showers are a great way to start!
- Ask friends & family to contribute for birthdays, milestones, holidays, etc.
- Increase savings (from diapers) when your child is potty-trained.
- Increase savings (from child care) when your child starts kindergarten.
- Plan meals in advance to save on fast food/take out expenses.
College saving plan: SMART 529
SMART529 is West Virginia’s tax-advantaged college savings program that can be used at eligible higher education institutions nationwide, including university, trade, vocational & technical schools. Savings can be used for tuition, room & board, books, supplies, even a computer. Flexible investment options allow you to choose the amount you contribute and when.